- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6-8 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth (or stock)
- 1 (15-ounce | 420-g) can diced tomatoes, drained*
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian dried herbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (15-ounce) cans white beans (cannellini beans), drained and rinsed
- 4 cups baby spinach (about 6 oz.)
- ½ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese, (for serving)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large pot or saucepan, heat olive over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant (about 2-3 minutes), while stirring occasionally. Add in the broth, tomatoes, sugar, ¾ cup of parmesan cheese, Italian herbs, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes to combine all of the flavours together.
- Stir in the cannellini beans and spinach, and continue to simmer gently until the spinach has wilted, (about 2 minutes). Stir in the parsley and season with extra salt and pepper, to taste, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe from Cafe Delights.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 100ml (just over ⅓ cup) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon red chilli flakes (adjust to your preference of spice)
- ½ teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken thigh fillets, skin removed (no bone)
- ½ yellow bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- ½ an onion, sliced
- 5 cups Romaine (or cos) lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Extra cilantro leaves to garnish
- Sour cream (optional) to serve
- Whisk marinade ingredients together to combine. Pour half the marinade into a shallow dish to marinade the chicken fillets for two hours if time allows. Refrigerate the reserved untouched marinade to use as a dressing.
- Heat about one teaspoon of oil in a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat and grill chicken fillets on each side until golden, crispy and cooked through. (Grill in batches to prevent excess water being released.) Once chicken is cooked, set aside and allow to rest.
- Wipe pan over with paper towel; drizzle with another teaspoon of oil and fry pepper and onion strips until cooked to your liking.
- Slice chicken into strips and prepare salad with leaves, avocado slices, peppers, onion strips and chicken. Drizzle with remaining marinade/dressing and serve with (optional) extra cilantro leaves and sour cream.
Recipe from Cafe Delights
- One 14-ounce can butter beans with their liquid
- 1/2 pound chorizo, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter beans in their liquid. In a large skillet, cook the chorizo over high heat until it is lightly browned and most of the fat is rendered, about 2 minutes.
- In a medium serving bowl, whisk the oil and vinegar. Stir in the tomatoes, onion and parsley. Drain the beans and chorizo and add them to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper and toss. Serve warm.
Recipe from Food and Wine.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg white (we used the rest of egg white from our rolls)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Combine all ingredients and press small amounts into a muffin tin. Sprinkle cheese on top if you like it. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Pop out onto paper towels to blot the moisture away before you put the patties on your buns.
Recipe from Super Healthy Kids
- 1 – cooking spray
- 1 pound – chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon – salt
- 1/4 teaspoon – black pepper, ground
- 3 tablespoon – olive oil
- 1 teaspoon – chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon – paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon – cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon – oregano, dried
- 1 cup – brown rice, raw
- 1 medium – bell pepper, red
- 1 medium – bell pepper, orange
- 1/2 medium – onion, red
- 1 cup – corn, canned
- 1 tablespoon – lime juice
- 3 tablespoon – vinegar, white wine
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking dish with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Pound out chicken so that each piece is of similar thickness.
- Mix together salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon olive oil, chili powder, paprika, cumin and oregano. Rub this mixture over chicken, then bake for 10 minutes.
- Flip chicken breasts over and continue baking for 10-15 minutes longer until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. Set aside to cool, then slice into strips.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions, and slice peppers and onion.
- Add veggies (including corn) to a large bowl, along with remaining olive oil, lime juice, and vinegar; toss together until mixed and well coated.
- Serve veggies and chicken over rice, with pineapple on the side.
For the kiddos, it may be best to serve the veggies on the side without the dressing. This way they can choose what they prefer and become familiar with them before adding extra flavor. The veggies could also be sautéed if desired.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 serving
Recipe from Super Healthy Kids