Tex-Mex Baked Potatoes have all the ingredients of your favorite Southwestern meal. These stuffed spuds are a great weeknight choice.
Yield: Serves: 4
Start to Finish Time: 1 hour 15 minutes if cook potato in oven; 30 minutes if cook potato in microwave
- 4 large russet potatoes
- Vegetable oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 15.5-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, sliced lengthwise
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- Bake potatoes. IN THE OVEN: Preheat oven to 375°F. Scrub potatoes and pat dry. Prick all over with a fork. Rub lightly with vegetable oil; sprinkle with salt. Place on oven rack and bake until a knife inserted in center of potato slides in easily, about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. IN THE MICROWAVE: Scrub potatoes. Prick all over with a fork. Place potatoes on a microwave-safe plate; microwave on high 4 minutes. Turn potatoes over and microwave until a knife inserted in center of potato slides in easily, 6 to 8 minutes longer. Cooking time will vary depending on the microwave.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef and onion until meat has browned. Drain off fat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano and 1/2 tsp. salt; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes.
- Cut a deep cross in tops of potatoes; squeeze open. With a fork, fluff up centers. Season with salt and pepper. Top potatoes with beef mixture, avocado and scallions.