Hands On: 20 Minutes
Total: 20 Minutes
- 4 (6-ounce) red potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup prechopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk, divided
- 1/4 cup fat free or reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 bacon slices, halved
- 1.5 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/3 cup)
- 4 teaspoons thinly sliced green onions
- Pierce potatoes with a fork. Microwave on HIGH 13 minutes or until tender. Cut in half; cool slightly.
- While potatoes cook, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth. Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk; add to pan with 1 1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil; stir often. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange bacon on a paper towel on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with a paper towel; microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes. Crumble bacon.
- Discard potato skins. Coarsely mash potatoes into soup. Top with cheese, green onions, and bacon.
This recipe originally ran in Cooking Light October, 2010 and was updated for the November, 2012 25th anniversary issue.