Traditional jerk recipes have you marinate the meat for a day or more. This dish lends huge flavor to the chicken with just an hour-long marinade. Ernie likes this as a sandwich.
Hands On: 37 Minutes
Total: 1 Hour, 57 Minutes
- 1 1/3 cups sliced green onions, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves, finely crumbled
- 1 small habanero pepper, chopped
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 (1-inch) slices fresh pineapple
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Place 1 cup sliced onions, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, sugar, and next 8 ingredients (through habanero pepper) in a mini food processor; process until almost smooth. Pour mixture into a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken to bag; seal bag. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Let chicken stand at room temperature 20 minutes.
- Place pineapple on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill pineapple 6 minutes, turning once. Cool 5 minutes. Chop pineapple; place in a medium bowl. Add remaining 1/3 cup onions, remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, bell pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss to combine.
- Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place chicken on grill rack; grill chicken 5 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from grill; let stand 5 minutes. Cut chicken into slices. Serve with pineapple salsa.
Amount per serving
- Calories: 268
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 37g
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 109mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 595mg
- Calcium: 33mg