Smoky, low-sodium, oven-roasted tomatoes stand in for jarred sauce, and fresh mozzarella adds a cheesy finish to portion-perfect Chicken Parmesan with Oven-Roasted Tomato Sauce.
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 1 cutlet and 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce)
Total: 1 Hour, 12 Minutes
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat panko
- 2 (8-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3 tablespoons canola mayonnaise (such as Hellmann’s)
- 1.5 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated and divided (about 6 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cooking spray
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine tomatoes and 1 tablespoon oil; toss. Arrange tomato mixture on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until browned.
- Increase oven temperature to 425°.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallot; cook 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, stock, wine, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook 4 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
- Place panko in a large skillet; cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently.
- Cut each chicken breast in half horizontally to form 4 cutlets. Combine mayonnaise, half of Parmesan cheese, and milk in a bowl. Spread mayonnaise mixture evenly over both sides of cutlets. Combine panko, garlic powder, and remaining half of Parmesan cheese in another dish. Dredge cutlets in panko mixture.
- Place cutlets on a wire rack coated with cooking spray. Place rack on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Top each cutlet with 2 tablespoons tomato mixture; top tomato mixture evenly with mozzarella cheese. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Sprinkle with basil, and serve with remaining tomato mixture.