Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 12 shell – pasta shells, jumbo
- 1 cup – ricotta cheese, part skim milk
- 1 cup – mozzarella cheese, part skim milk, shredded
- 1 package (10 oz) – Spinach, frozen
- 1/4 cup chopped – basil, fresh
- 1 large – egg
- 1/8 teaspoon – salt
- 1/8 teaspoon – black pepper, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon – nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cup – Spaghetti/Marinara Sauce
- 4 medium – apple
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cook shells as directed on package for al dente; set aside.
- Thaw spinach and chop basil.
- To prepare filling: Combine ricotta and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese in a large bowl. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the spinach (To remove the most moisture, place spinach in a cheese cloth and squeeze.); add to cheeses along with basil, egg, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Add a small amount of sauce to the bottom of a large baking dish to prevent shells from sticking. Fill shells with the cheese and spinach mixture and place in dish. Top with sauce and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 5-10 minutes more, until bubbly and cheese turns golden.
- Serve with sliced apples on the side.