- 1 tablespoon – olive oil
- 1/2 cup, chopped – onion
- 1 medium – bell pepper, red
- 1 cup – quinoa, uncooked
- 1 1/2 cup – vegetable broth
- 1 can drained solids – pinto beans
- 1 can – diced tomatoes, canned
- 1 cup – corn, canned
- 2 teaspoon – chili powder
- 1 teaspoon – cumin, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon – salt
- 1/8 teaspoon – black pepper, ground
- 1 medium – avocado
- 1 fruit (2″ dia) – limes
- 2 tablespoon – cilantro, chopped
1. In a large skillet add the oil, onion, and bell peppers. Cook over medium high heat until the vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the quinoa, broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
3. Cover and continue to cook over medium high heat until the quinoa us cooked, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and add the avocado, lime juice, and cilantro. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and serve right away. You can serve this dish its own just as it is but it’s also excellent with a little cheese and sour cream on top, used as a taco filling, on top of baked potatoes, in taco salad, or even to dip tortilla chips in.
Notes: This recipes is very flexible. You can use the type of quinoa you like (red, black, white, or a blend), as well as the type of beans your prefer (black and small red beans are also great in this).