2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large leeks, white and light green parts thinly sliced and rinsed
4 cups chopped cauliflower florets (from 1 medium head)
2 1/2 cups low-fat milk, divided
2 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and stir until very soft, about five minutes.
- Add cauliflower, two cups milk, water, bay leaf, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is soft, about eight minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup milk and flour in a small bowl.
- When the cauliflower is soft, remove the bay leaf and stir in the milk mixture. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the soup has thickened slightly, about two minutes more.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese and lemon juice.