- 12 ounce – turkey sausage
- 1/2 medium – onion
- 1/2 cup diced – mushrooms, portabella
- 1 clove – garlic
- 2 tablespoon – olive oil
- 1 cup – arborio rice
- 2 1/4 cup – chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1/8 teaspoon – salt
- 1/4 teaspoon – black pepper, ground
- 1 cup – peas and carrots, frozen
- 1/4 cup – Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 medium – pear
- Remove casing from sausage if there is any. Chop onion and mushrooms; mince garlic.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.Add onion and garlic to hot oil and cook for 1 minute. Add sausage; cook 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking it into smaller pieces as it cooks.
- Add mushrooms and rice to skillet. Stir to combine and cook 2-3 minutes, allowing rice to lightly brown.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid has absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in peas and carrots; season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow peas and carrots to cook through.
- Top with grated Parmesan, and serve sliced pears on the side.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe from Super Healthy Kids.