- 1 cup – water
- 3 cup – All-Bran cereal
- 4 tablespoon – butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup – applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup – sugar
- 2 large – egg
- 2 cup – buttermilk
- 2 1/2 teaspoon – baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup – flour, all-purpose
- 1 1/4 cup – flour, whole wheat
- 1/2 teaspoon – salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease 2, 12-cup muffin tins, or line with paper or silicone liners.
- Bring water to a boil, then remove from heat and stir in 2 cups of “All Bran” cereal; set aside.
- Slightly melt butter (avoid over-heating it) and add to a large mixing bowl along with applesauce, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, baking soda, flours, and salt; stir to combine.
- Add in the cereal mixture and mix well. Fold in the remaining dry cereal.
- Fill muffin cups and bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.
For variety and added fruit servings, try adding 1 cup of dried fruit: apples, bananas, apricots, mandarin oranges, and cranberries are just a few good options.
Any extra batter can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to three weeks. You can also make all of the muffins at once and freeze the extras; these muffins freeze amazingly well. When ready to serve, simply pop one in the microwave for 30 seconds or so until warmed through.