- 1 medium – apple, Granny Smith
- 1/2 cup – cranberries, dried
- 1 pound – turkey, ground
- 1 large – egg
- 1 teaspoon – salt
- 1/2 teaspoon – black pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon – onion powder
- 1/2 cup – cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 cup – green beans
- 4 ounce – macaroni pasta, dry
- 2 cup – spaghetti or marinara sauce
- 2 medium – apple
- Wash and shred Granny Smith apple; squeeze out any excess liquid. Chop cranberries into smaller pieces.
- Add grated apple, chopped berries, turkey, egg, salt, pepper, onion powder, and cheese to a large bowl. Mix well. (Your hands work best!)
- Make golf-ball sized meatballs and drop them into a 4 quart crockpot (or larger). This should make about a dozen meatballs.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 5-9 hours. (The fuller the crockpot, the longer the meat will take to cook.) While the meatballs cook, juice will collect on the bottom of the crockpot and they will start getting bright white and slimy looking. Don’t be alarmed—they will eventually brown. They may also appear to be cooking into each other but you will be able to separate them when they’re done.)
- Before eating, steam green beans, cook pasta according to package, and heat pasta sauce. Core remaining apples and cut into slices.
- Top pasta with sauce and meatballs. Serve green beans and sliced apples on the side.
Serving size: 2 meatballs, 1/2 cup cooked pasta with sauce, 1 cup green beans, and 1/2 an apple.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 hours
Yield: 6 servings