Sweet Pulled Pork
- 2 pound – pork roast
- 1 cup – water
- 1 3/4 cup – barbecue sauce
- 2 teaspoon – brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon – black pepper, ground
- 1 tablespoon – chili powder
- 1 teaspoon – cilantro
- 1 cup – brown rice, raw
- 4 cup – Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon – olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon – salt
- 4 medium – apple
- 1/4 cup – water
- 1/2 teaspoon – cinnamon
- Place pork and water in a 3-4 quart electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove pork, discard cooking liquid, then return meat to slow cooker; shred with 2 forks.
- Stir in barbecue sauce, brown sugar, ground pepper, chili powder and cilantro. Cover and continue cooking on LOW for another hour.
- Meanwhile, cook rice as directed on package.
- About 15 minutes before the pork is ready, Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Arrange Brussels on a cookie sheet; drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place in oven and roast for 10-20 minutes.
- While sprouts are roasting, core and chop apples. Place in a microwave safe dish along with water, and microwave for 3-5 minutes.
- Once apples are soft, mash gently with a potato masher or the back of a fork; sprinkle cinnamon on top if desired.
- Serve pork on top of brown rice, with veggies and apples on the side. (Serving size: 1 cup shredded pork, 1/2 cup rice, 1 cup Brussels, 1 apple).
If you don’t think your kids will be fond of the smashed apples, simply slice them and serve them raw instead!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 hours
Yield: 8 servings
- 476 kcal
- 32 g
- 14 g
- 57 g
- 5 g
- 26 g
Recipe from Super Healthy Kids.