- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6-8 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth (or stock)
- 1 (15-ounce | 420-g) can diced tomatoes, drained*
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian dried herbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (15-ounce) cans white beans (cannellini beans), drained and rinsed
- 4 cups baby spinach (about 6 oz.)
- ½ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese, (for serving)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large pot or saucepan, heat olive over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant (about 2-3 minutes), while stirring occasionally. Add in the broth, tomatoes, sugar, ¾ cup of parmesan cheese, Italian herbs, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes to combine all of the flavours together.
- Stir in the cannellini beans and spinach, and continue to simmer gently until the spinach has wilted, (about 2 minutes). Stir in the parsley and season with extra salt and pepper, to taste, if desired.
- Serve immediately.