Serves: 8 Serving Size = 1/8 slice from pan, 1/2 orange Prep Time: 30 m Cook Time: 40 m
2 ounce – ricotta cheese, part skim milk
4 tablespoon – olive oil
teaspoon – salt
teaspoon – black pepper, ground
12 ounce – mozzarella cheese
2 ounce – Parmesan cheese, grated
16 ounce – pasta, ziti
3 clove – garlic
teaspoon – red pepper/chili flakes
56 ounce – crushed tomatoes, canned S
SERVE WITH: 4 medium – orange
1. Mix ricotta, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese together. (2 ounces of grated Parmesan is about 1/2 cup).
2. Cook ziti as directed on package to al dente.
3. Using the same pot you cooked the pasta, add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, minced garlic and red pepper akes. Heat over medium for 1-2 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and bring to a simmer; cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
4. Remove from heat and mix with pasta.
5. Add half the pasta to a 9X13 inch baking dish. Scoop large spoonfuls of ricotta mixture over pasta and gently spread around. Pour over the remaining pasta.
6. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese mixture.
7. Cover with plastic wrap and then foil. Refrigerate for 24 hours or toss in the freezer for up to a month.
8. When ready to bake, thaw overnight if needed. Remove both the foil and plastic wrap. Lightly cover with foil and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes, remove foil and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
10. Serve hot with orange slices on the side.
Recipe from Super Healthy Kids.